Aubergine Fingers in Coconut Batter with a Creamy Peri-Peri DipServes: 30 Prep Time: 45 MIN
- 4 aubergines (brinjal/eggplant)
- Salt, maizena
- 2 ½ cups self-raising flour
- 300ml water or coconut milk
- 50ml All Gold Chilli Sauce
- 4 eggs, lightly beaten
- 375ml desiccated coconut
- Oil for frying (deep-fryer)
- 1 cup herb flavoured cottage cheese
- ¾ cup All Gold Peri-Peri Sauce
- 4 tbls chutney
- 2 tbls spring onion, finely chopped
- Salt & pepper to season
1. Heat deep oil to approx. 180°C. 2. Cut the aubergine into bite-size fingers. Sprinkle with salt and let it stand while you make the dip and the batter. 3. Dip: Mix all ingredients together. Allow to infuse for at least 20 minutes 4. Batter: Sift the self-raising flour into a bowl, make a well in the centre, stir in the water, chilli sauce & eggs. Mix well and then add in the coconut. Mix to combine. 5. Rinse the aubergine and pat dry. Toss aubergine into maizena and then dust off excess. 6. Dip pieces of aubergine into batter, deep fry until golden brown, drain and serve with dip.
Chef's tip: This recipe can be used with any vegetables, especially courgettes, butternut and sweet potato.