Quick and Easy Mexican Mussel StarterServes: 15 Prep Time: 35 MIN
- 1 All Gold Mexican Style Tomatoes
- 4 tbls jalapeño or chilli chutney
- 3 tbls fresh coriander, finely chopped
- 1kg half-shell mussels
- 1 cup grated mozzarella cheese
- Guacamole/sour cream/chives for garnish
- Fresh lemon wedges
1. Preheat oven to 180°C. 2. Lightly steam the mussels and set aside on a baking tray (loosen mussels in their shell) 3. Heat Mexican tomatoes, chutney and chutney in a pot to boiling, break up the tomatoes. Allow to simmer until sauce has thickened. Adjust the seasoning with salt and coarse black pepper if needed. 4. Scoop a little tomato over the mussels to cover and then top with a little cheese. 5. Heat in the oven for 10 minutes until cheese has melted and mussel is heated through. 6. Arrange on a platter and garnish each with a small dollop of guacamole, sour cream and chives. Serve lemon on the side. 7. Delicious served with fresh breads, like ciabatta or French loaf.
Chef's tip: For extra chilli, add some fresh chilli to tomato mixture when cooking. This recipe can also be done with fresh oysters.