Durban Lamb CurryServes 6Prep Time:2 hoursCooking Time:2 hoursIngredients
3 onions, chopped
5 cloves garlic, crushed
1 knob ginger, finely chopped
2 cans (410g) ALL GOLD chopped tomatoes
15ml (3 teaspoons) salt
15ml (3 teaspoons) turmeric
5ml (1 teaspoon) chilli powder
15ml (3 teaspoons) ground cumin
15ml (3 teaspoons) ground coriander
45ml (3 tablespoon) curry paste
65ml (¼ cup) ALL GOLD PEACH JAM
1kg stewing lamb
500ml (2 cups) water
2 green chillies, seeded and chopped
6 curry leaves
45ml (3 tablespoons) chopped fresh coriander
10ml (2 teaspoons) garam masala
Roti or rice to servePreparation Method
1. Preheat oven to 180°C.
2. Melt butter in a heavy base frying pan and sauté onions until lightly browned and caramelised. (Don’t rush this step, it's important.) Remove caramelised onions and set aside.
3. Combine garlic, ginger, tomatoes, salt and all the spices in a food processor, blend together to form a coarse paste.
4. Brown the lamb in the same saucepan in which the onions were cooked, add a bit of oil if necessary. Remove and place in a casserole dish.
5. Add spicy tomato paste, caramelised onions, water, chillies and curry leaves. Cover and bake covered for 2 hours
6. Remove from the oven check seasoning, stir in fresh coriander and garam masala. Serve over rice or with roti, with sambals.
Serve over rice or with roti, with sambals.
Anchovy Tomato and Three Cheese RisottoServes 4Prep Time:15 minCooking Time:Ingredients
1 l fish or vegetable stock, hot
2 tsps All Gold Tomato Paste
1 tbsp olive oil
3 tbsp butter
1 onion, finely chopped
2 tsp fresh garlic, crushed
½ cup dry white wine
1 can (410g) All Gold Chopped, Peeled Tomatoes
2 tsp sugar
300g Arborio rice (risotto rice)
Salt & pepper
200g anchovies in oil, drained
5 tbls chunky cottage cheese
3 tbsp grated parmesan cheese
¾ cup cubed feta
Chopped fresh parsley for garnishPreparation MethodStock: Mix stock and tomato paste and keep warm on the stove next to the cooking pot.
1. In a deep, heavy bottom pan, melt the oil and butter together. Add the onion and garlic and sauté until onions are softened but not brown.
2. Add wine to deglaze the pan and then add the sugar & tomatoes, bring to the boil.
3. Add the rice and stir until coated in the mixture.
4. Gradually add the hot stock, a ladleful at a time. Stir constantly and add more liquid as the rice absorbs each addition for 20 minutes, or until all the liquid is absorbed and the rice is creamy but still firm.
5. Add in the anchovies and the chunky cottage cheese, fold lightly.
Serve hot in bowls, garnish with parmesan, feta and chopped parsley.
Chef's tip: Serve with some garlic bread. Add some chilli for extra flavour.